Thursday, November 6, 2008

Mommy Files

Do you ever have the moments where you realize your kids really need "the smackdown"?

Over the past while, it has become clear that mine do. Especially my boy child.

So last night, after a stressful day, we had a family meeting. The 4 of us sat down and Daddy and I began said "smackdown".

I know right now when my Mum reads this, she is thinking "Oh, don't be so hard on those kids!!!!!". But then a part of me knows she has seen the behavior I am talking about, so she'll get over it :)

What are those behaviors?
  1. Being sassy
  2. Yelling at each other
  3. Not picking up after themselves
  4. Being negative & excessive complaining

Daddy and I came up with a yellow and red card system. Kind of like in soccer. Certain offenses get a yellow card, others are automatic red. 3 yellows makes a red. If you receive a red, there is no board game at night (or tv before bed). We play a game every night except Thursdays and Fridays and the kids love this so it is great currency.

Automatic red cards are: yelling, any physical things like hitting, big crying/whining meltdowns.
Yellow cards include: sassy comments, sassy actions (sighing, rolling eyes, folding arms, stomping feet), negative comments/complaints.

Any toys left not put away at bedtime after a clean up reminder are put away for one week.

Smackdown started this morning. As of right now, Lucas has 1 yellow card ("Why do you always BOSS ME AROUND?????") and Ellie is clear.

I will let you know how it goes.

4 comments:

Anonymous

Oh, I like it! I hope they are able to make it with few yellow and no red cards!

Grandmas always think we're hard on their precious grandchildren! I think they forget all the little things add up to eventually make a big issue(the attitude!).

I hope it works well for you guys!

Anonymous

Oh! My!!!!---(yes! my precious grandchildren!!!) ---but I understand.
Just a thought---would there be an opportunity for a GREEN card---3 greens might earn something back early!!!or a special treat-- positive stuff is always good too.

Good luck! I'm sure you will be able to ditch the reds and yellows soon!
Love, Mum

Julie

Nope sorry! No green cards! :)

Anonymous

Sounds like 1st grade for Tommy. They however start off on green, go to yellow and then red if they are really bad. They also have a purple card for when they are really good and they get a small and I mean small treat. I may have to do that here too. Are you sure you were at your house and not mine?

Related Posts with Thumbnails